Throughout the design of a building project it is necessary to work out how the construction is to be undertaken and that in fact the design will work. Some elements (e.g. staircases and height requirements in tight spaces) can be critical.
At appropriate stages approvals are required. For each stage progressively more details of the construction are required.
Stages of a typical project (may not apply to all):
- Outline Design
- Discussion and Agreement with Client
- Application for Planning Approval
(Listed Building or Conservation Area Consents may also be required)
- Liaison with Specialist Surveyors (Tree Works, Ecology etc.)
- Detailed Scheme Design
- Liaison with Specialist Designers (Structural Engineer, Interiors, Landscape etc.)
- Application for Building Regulation Approval
- Design of Construction details and Specifications
- Competitive or Negotiated Tender
- Construction on Site and Administration of Contract
- Completion of Construction, Defects Period and Builder’s Final Account