What is required?
- More space or to use existing space more effectively?
- Improvements to the layout or functioning of the house to closer fit the way the house is used?
- Improvements to the facilities and appearance?
- Use of a redundant space or area (including lofts & outbuildings)?
- Development of a new site or replacement of an existing building?
- Conversion of a building from other uses?
What are the Possibilities?
- The first and obvious option may be the right one but perhaps there is a better way
- Adding an extension without considering how this will affect the existing building may cause unforeseen problems and may not make the best of the situation
- The answer may be there staring you in the face but can you see it
- There may be a number of options – what are the advantages and disadvantages of each
- The space needed may exist but needs some work to release its potential or an extension may not need to be as large if existing space can be better used
- Work to existing buildings most often presents unique problems and the solution is often a ‘one-off’